Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The "New" Budweiser Shootout

From the moment I started following Nascar, the Budweiser Shootout quickly became one of my favorite racing events. It is in my backyard, it is a night race, it isn't long and it is an overall fun race to watch. I just read that they are changing the format of the race for 2009. Instead of it being a race between pole winners and previous shootout champions, the lineup will now consist of the top-six teams from each manufacturer, based on the final 2008 car owner points.

So, here is my problem with this. This really limits your top drivers that will racing for the Shootout. For instance, take a look at Tony Stewart and Ryan Newman. The top six teams of each manufacturer (not drivers) at the end of the 2008 season clinched their berths. Since it is based off the manufacturer, not the driver, I would assume that Tony and Ryan wont make the race? I don't like this new method, not at all.

If the season was over today, this is the lineup for the drawing party:
Chevy: Dale Jr., Jimmie Johnson, Jeff Burton, Kevin Harvick, Jeff Gordon, Clint Bowyer
Ford: Carl Edwards, Greg Biffle, Matt Kenseth, David Ragen, Jamie McMurray, Travis Kvapil
Dodge: Kasey Kahne, Ryan Newman*, Kurt Busch, Elliot Sadler, Juan Pablo Montoya, Bobby Labonte
Toyota: Kyle Busch, Tony Stewart*, Denny Hamlin, Brian Vickers, David Reutimann, Michael Waltrip

I am going to keep my comments to myself.

No comments: