Sunday, September 21, 2008

A 35 pound princess and a 50 pound trophy

Ok, I am having a sappy moment right now and I admit, I am a bit teary eyed. Carl Edwards is known for giving his trophy’s away. He gave his most recent Nationwide trophy to 4 year old Emma Mitchum who was born with a form of Spina Bifida, a disease that causes her spine and other organs to grow and function incorrectly. She is the typical 4 year old that loves princesses, the color pink and now Carl Edwards (hey, we share 3 things in common!). She has already endured 3 operations on her spine with an addition to another which will help her function better. Carl heard of Emma through one of his crew guys, Darren Beach, whose wife is related to her. "Darren and I grew up together. Our dads raced each other. He's been there, by my side, and we've been friends and worked together since I ran race cars out of my garage at home," said Edwards. "After I won that race, Darren has never asked me for a thing, and he said, ‘If you don't have a place for that trophy to go, I got a place for it.' He told me about Emma and how much she's gone through at a really young age, how strong she is, and I figured she deserved the trophy as much as I did and would appreciate it even more."
Lets say my adoration of Carl just went up 5 notches.

Sorry to be such a sap....hell, Darlynn cries at every National Anthem...I suppose I can be sappy on this blog one time.

No comments: